Vegan Pie Pastry:
1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
2/3 cup (150 mL) cold vegan butter, cubed
2 tbsp (30 mL) vegan butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) mushrooms, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flax
1 pkg (340 g) Yves Veggie Ground Round
1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
3/4 cup (175 mL) cranberry sauce, divided
1. Vegan Pie Pastry: In large bowl, whisk together flour and salt; using a pastry blender or with fingertips, cut in vegan butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Using fork, stir in 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold water until dough comes together, stirring in up to 1 tbsp (15 mL) more water if needed. Divide dough into 2 portions; flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Wellington: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). In skillet, heat vegan butter over medium heat; cook onion, mushrooms, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in sage, thyme and rosemary; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Let cool completely.
3. In large bowl, mix together flax and 3 tbsp (45 mL) water; let stand for 5 minutes. Mix in onion mixture, ground round, bread crumbs, mustard, salt and pepper.
4. On lightly floured work surface, roll each portion of dough into 12- x 7-inch rectangle. Transfer each portion to parchment paper–lined baking sheet; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
5. Mound ground round mixture onto 1 pastry rectangle, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Brush 1/3 cup (75 mL) cranberry sauce over top. Cap with remaining pastry, pressing together both sheets of pastry at edges to seal; roll and crimp border. Cut vent holes in top.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and crisp. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining cranberry sauce.
Place Wellington on a serving board and garnish with fresh herb sprigs and cranberries for a festive presentation.